As you may be aware, there have been changes within the Employment Standards Act. Bill 47, Making Ontario Open for Business Act, 2018 has repealed and/or replaced most of the changes that were to come January 1, 2019. The notes below will help you understand the updated changes. For further information please read online Legislative Assembly of Ontario: Bill 47, Making Ontario Open for Business Act, 2018
Bill 47, Making Ontario Open for Business Act, 2018
- Request for changes to schedule or work location (s.21.2))
- On-call pay (s.21.4)
- Right to refuse shifts scheduled with fewer than 96 hours’ notice (s.21.5)
- Cancellation pay (s.21.6)
- Repealing $15.00/ hour. Minimum wage will remain at $14.00/ hour until 2020.
- Repealing equal pay for equal work relating to difference in employment status (ss.42(6)).
Personal Emergency Leave
- Repealing personal emergency leave, and is being replaced with 3 new leaves:
3 unpaid sick leave days 3 unpaid family responsibility leave days 2 unpaid bereavement leave days
- Employers in 2019 will be able to ask for doctors notes when employees are absent from work.